Restaurant style breakfast potatoes, complete with sauteed onions and green peppers, tossed with seasonings galore! These super flavourful breakfast potatoes are the perfect side – or main – for all your vegan breakfast dreams!
Before You Begin
- 6 Small - Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes*
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp French Fry (Steak) Seasoning**
- 1 tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Sweet or White Onion
- ½ tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Oil (Grapeseed)
- Wash potatoes and chop off any ugly, bruised or spuddy pieces.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Cut potatoes into small, bite sized chunks with a crinkle cutter or knife. I find really small chunks work best when cooking them on the stovetop.
- Boil the potato chunks for about 10 minutes, or until they are soft enough to easily poke through with a fork.
- While the potatoes are boiling, chop the green pepper and onion into small chunks.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot to toss with spices. Let potatoes cool for a few minutes so they’re less delicate before adding seasoning.
- While the potatoes are cooling, heat a large frying pan over medium heat with oil.
- Sprinkle about half the spices onto the potatoes and shake. Sprinkle in the rest of the spices and continue to shake. Make sure the potatoes are evenly coated, they should be a nice orangey colour and a little roughed up. It’s okay (and actually preferred) if the potatoes get a bit mushy.
- Once frying pan is hot, add potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Push potatoes to one side of the frying pan, and on the other side, add onions and peppers. Stir to coat evenly in oil. Fry for about 5 minutes then add garlic and stir to combine with onions and peppers.
- Once onions are browned, mix everything in with the potatoes and continue to cook over medium heat, until potatoes are crispy enough for your taste (about 15 minutes for me). Make sure to stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Serve these breakfast potatoes on their own, with ketchup, or as a side with other breakfast foods, like a bagel, or tofu scramble.
- *I find Yukon gold potatoes hold their shape a lot better when cooked compared to white or regular yellow potatoes. Mini potatoes are also much creamier than large ones, so I prefer these for french fries! But feel free to use whatever type of potato you prefer.
- **I used Cabela’s steak french fry seasoning. This is totally optional! I usually do my potatoes without it. The french fry seasoning adds a nice kick to the usual spices. If you don’t have french fry seasoning, you can try adding red or green bell pepper powder. You can also add extra of any of the spices listed above to compensate.
- ***We use a deep frying pan since we usually cook so many potatoes at once. You can use a smaller pan if you’re making a smaller serving.
- You can add any other veggies you like to the onion stir fry mix. I like to add red bell pepper when I have it!
Have you tried our recipe?
Tag us on Instagram @ChickpeaExpress and use the hashtag #ChickpeaExpress to share your creations with our followers!
Want More Recipes?
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know when we release our delicious creations to the world!