Easy Homemade Pizza Buns
These easy homemade pizza buns are the cutest, and most nostalgic way to eat pizza! I used my original pizza recipe and made it into tiny pizza buns topped with vegan cheese, green peppers, and onions. This new pizza bun recipe can easily be made into vegan garlic buns too!
Before You Begin
Seasoned Pizza Dough
- 2 ½ Flour
- 2 tsp Yeast (one packet)
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp FlavorGod Pizza Seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Parsley Flakes
- 1 Ball Seasoned Pizza Dough (or any pizza dough)
- ⅔ cup Pizza Sauce
- ¼ cup Vegan Cheese (or vegan parm)
- Green Peppers
- 2 tsp Parsley Flakes (for topping)
Seasoned Pizza Dough
- In a large mixing bowl, combine water, sugar, oil, and yeast. Let sit for about 15 minutes, or until yeast starts to dissolve.
- Mix in flour, salt, and the rest of the seasonings. Add more or less to your taste.
- Knead dough into a ball. Continue to work / knead dough for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Grease the mixing bowl, coating the ball of dough in oil as well.
- Cover and let rise for 1 - 2 hours (this is flexible).
- Once dough has roughly doubled in size, punch it down, and work it back into a ball.
- Slightly flatten dough ball so it's easier to cut. Place dough on a cutting board and cut it in half.
- Cut each half of the dough in half, then in half again, to make 8 equal sized balls of dough.
- Roll each piece of dough into a circle, then flatten into a small circular pizza crust. These rise quite a bit, so make sure they're only 1/4 inch thick or so!
- Cover pizza buns with pizza sauce, edge to edge.
- Top with desired amount of cheese, green peppers, and onions.
- Sprinkle tops with parsley, then bake in oven at 420 for roughly 15 minutes. Cook time depends on how close together you make them on the pan. If they're all touching and crowded like mine were, it might take more time, up to 20 minutes. I find they're better soft so be careful not to overcook.
- These are great straight out of the oven, but leave them on counter for a few hours, or refrigerate for fullest pizza bun experience. They get so nice and chewy this way.
- You can use any pizza dough recipe as the base of these pizza buns. I recommend using this one because it’s extra flavourful and always rises really well! It’s also quite airy which works well for the pizza bun texture!
- For this recipe I used my bread machine to make the dough, but I normally would just make it by hand. It turns out great either way! I will say, making it in the bread machine is way easier and so much less messy!
- You can see my original pizza dough recipe here. It’s identical to the one above but it’s the plain version!
- I used Follow Your Heart Pizzeria Cheese for this recipe, it’s the best tasting pizza cheese in my opinion. Even better than mozzarella! I only used a sprinkle because I’m not a huge cheese fan, but they’re still super pizza-y and flavourful! Feel free to add extra cheese!
- My favorite pizza toppings are green pepper and onions so that’s what I chose for toppings! You can use any toppings you like! I actually really enjoyed the plain version I made with just cheese and sauce too!
Have you tried our recipe?
Tag us on Instagram @ChickpeaExpress and use the hashtag #ChickpeaExpress to share your creations with our followers!
Want More Recipes?
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know when we release our delicious creations to the world!