Fried rice is the best accidentally vegan side dish when it comes to chinese take out! You can turn homemade fried rice into restaurant style take out rice with just a few special touches; cold rice, and veggie broth! Made with onions, green peppers and lots of soy sauce, this fried rice is super flavourful and comes together so quickly!
Before You Begin
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice (cooked, cold)*
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ Sweet Onion, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic Minced
- Green Onion, chopped
- ½ tbsp Oil**
- Prepare rice according to package instructions, and add veggie broth to water before cooking. We use a rice cooker with a 1 cup rice to 2 cups water ratio.
- Refrigerate rice overnight, or a few hours if you're in a rush. The colder / more firm it is, the better.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Fry onion for a few minutes or until it starts to brown, then add garlic and green peppers.
- Once onion mixture is brown, add rice.
- Mix rice with onions and fry for a few minutes, working out all the rice chunks.
- Add soy sauce and continue to mix. Add green onion and mix.
- Push rice around so it's in a thin, even layer across the bottom of the pan. Allow to fry for a minute or two so it gets brown and crispy. Repeat a few times.
- Add more soy sauce to taste - you might need more than 1/2 cup to get rice completely coated!
- Serve fried rice with broccoli, mixed veg, or even fries! I love this fried rice with plum sauce mixed in!
- In total, it usually takes about 15 minutes to fry the rice! You can adjust cook times to your taste. If you like crispier rice, try adding an extra 5 minutes.
- *Fried rice works best with cold rice. Fresh rice is too delicate and will just get mushy if you try to heat it with soy sauce! Try using leftover rice. Or, make rice a couple of hours ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge for a bit.
- **We have a really good nonstick pan so it doesn’t take much oil to make this dish. You might need more oil to avoid the rice sticking. You can also splash in some water if you find the rice is sticking to the bottom of the pan!
- You can add extra veggies to the fried rice if you want. Small chunks of carrots, corn, and peas are a classic combo!
- My favorite side with this fried rice is fried broccoli with teriyaki sauce! It literally tastes like a take out meal!
Want More Recipes?
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know when we release our delicious creations to the world!