- 1 cup Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Vegan Cheese Biscuits
- 2 ½ cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Parsley Flakes
- ½ tsp Garlic Powderoptional
- ½ cup Vegan Butter or Margarine
- ½ cup Follow Your Heart Cheddar Cheese Shreds
- In a small bowl, combine cold almond milk and apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Set aside and let thicken while you prepare biscuits.
Vegan Cheese Biscuits
- Lightly flour a clean counter to work with the dough. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat the oven to 420°.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, parsley flakes, garlic powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add vegan butter, work the butter into the flour mixture with your hands. It should be evenly distributed, with some small chunks. Try to work quickly with the dough, you don't want the butter to melt before you bake it!
- Pour in vegan buttermilk and cheese. Gently stir together flour, buttermilk, and cheese. Don't overmix the dough, turn a few times until the dough starts to come together.
- Pour the dough onto the floured work surface. Gently press it together until it's consistent. If it's too sticky, add a bit of flour. Form the dough into a 1" thick rectangle. Be careful not to work the dough too much.
- Fold the dough in half and gently press it back down to a 1" thick rectangle. Repeat this step until you've folded it over 3-4 times.
- Use a cookie cutter or a mason jar to cut out small biscuits. Place them 1.5" inches apart on the pan.
- Gently spread a bit of butter over the tops of the biscuits before baking them for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- It’s really important to not overwork the dough (don’t knead or play with it too much). If you mix the dough too much, it will be dense, hard, and won’t rise properly.
- To get a flaky and light biscuit texture, mix it minimally, and try not to knead it too much while cutting out the biscuits. Be gentle with the dough, using light pressing motions when folding it over.
- I used Follow Your Heart Cheddar Shreds in this recipe! Feel free to sub your favorite vegan cheddar cheese, or mix it up with a different flavor, like pepper jack!
- I added a bit of garlic into these cheese biscuits for a more savory experience. Feel free to omit if you don’t like garlic. Or try adding more herbs, like oregano and rosemary, for more flavor!
Want More Recipes?
Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to know when we release our delicious creations to the world!